Wednesday, June 15, 2005

What I Would Have Missed

What I Would Have Missed
by Max Lucado

I could have been out of town that week. I had an invitation to be in the Midwest at a church. I turned it down. What if I hadn't? If I had gone, I would have had the attention of a thousand people for an hour.

I would have had the opportunity to speak about Jesus to some people who don't know him. Is a Tuesday evening at home with three children and a spouse more important than preaching to an audience?

Read my list of what I would have missed. Then you decide.

I would have missed a trip to the swimming pool in which I saw Jenna climb onto her inner tube for the first time.

I would have missed fifteen minutes of bouncing up and down in the shallow end of the pool, with Andrea clinging to my neck singing the theme from "Sleeping Beauty."

I would have missed seeing Denalyn get sentimental as she unpacked a box of baby clothes.

I wouldn't have gone on a walk with the girls during which Jenna found ten "special" rocks.

I wouldn't have been there to hold Andrea when her finger got slammed in the door.

I wouldn't have been there to answer Jenna's question: "Daddy, what is a handicapped person?"

What do you think? I know my vote. There are a hundred speakers who could have addressed that crowd, but my girls just have one daddy.

After I made my list, just for the fun of it I picked up the phone and called the church that had asked me to come and speak that week. The minister wasn't in, but his secretary was. "Isn't this the week of your seminar?" I asked.

"Oh, yes! It has been a wonderful success!"

They didn't even miss me.




According to Max, some things came beofre his preaching. It looks like the Lord wanted to spend some time speaking to him about His Love in a different way. Blessed be the Lord!

No comments: