Friday, May 06, 2005

The Teacher

What do you make?

"The Teacher"
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.
He argued, 'What's a kid going to learn from someone who
decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?'

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about
teachers: 'Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.'

To corroborate his point he said to another guest; 'You're a
teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?'

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness,
replied, 'You want to know what I make?

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal
of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute
silence.

You want to know what I make? I make kids wonder. I
make them question. I make them criticize. I make them
apologize and mean it.

I make them write. I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math and perfect their
final drafts in English.

I make them understand that if you have the brains, and
follow your heart, if�someone ever tries to judge you by
what you make, you must pay no attention because they
just didn't learn.'

Susan paused and then continued, 'You want to know what
I make? I make a difference. What do you make?'

No comments: